Make Me a Bird

Let's be honest here. There are many days as a parent where you just want to cry. What type of tears, do you ask? Is it the happy tears of watching your daughter at her first ballet recital? Aww... But,nope. Is it the tears of joy when you see your son walk across the stage for his highschool graduation? Again, nope. How about the tears that well up in your eyes when your brood of children are playing quietly together and giggling? That is quite the precious moment which I adore, however, that is not the type of tears I am referring to at this time. Is it the kind of tears where it seems that nothing has gone right all day and you feel like you must be the worst mom ever? Well folks, I think we have a winner! Well, you happen to have caught me on one of those days. Surprise, surprise. ;-) 

Here are some clips from my highlight reel that you may relate to:


1) I let my preschool son skip his morning of higher education today only to realize later in the afternoon that it was class picture day. Oh, yes. I wish I could say that this is the first time that happened. Class historians may notice that his older brother is missing from his preschool class pictures two years ago. Awesome.


2) I always know that I have reached the "bribery gone wrong" phase in the candy isle of the commissary when my vocal toddler is now miraculously quiet. A few minutes later, I pay for this blunder, for she now has two sticky hands and a hot pink face from the colorful lollipop that I opened in a moment of weakness. Since I committed to buy one thing I don't really need, I quickly realized that I now  appear to be stealing, (now I'm a repeat offender) in order to open some baby wipes for the sticky emergency. A lollipop will only buy so much tantrum-free time, that I had no choice but to  move on to the Chex mix that I had no intention of purchasing before five minutes ago. At least I found a coupon, so that's a bonus. Fantastic.

3) After a distracted child of mine ignores the sound of his mother's voice when asked a question repeatedly with no response, he proceeded to have the meltdown of the century when a privilege had been taken away. I've never met a human that loves gum so much.

4)It is only fitting that the Gatorade cap was not secured properly and therefore spilled all over my double stroller, soon after arriving 15 minutes late to soccer practice. Three kids, two wet and stained seats, and one frazzled mom. I love it. 

We all have these kinds of days that make you want to just cry, and you pray to God to be made into a bird so you can fly far. Far, far away from here... or from anyone that needs your assistance for survival. Often, mothers are so quick to verbally minimize the marathon of parenting. We all should have positive outlooks, but I think it's ok for us to say, "This is hard. Very hard. And I want to cry." It's so easy to have negative self talk, and we fight with the voice in our head that tells us we are weak, or abnormal, or defeated, or the "worstest mom ever." 

2 Corinthians 12:9-11

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my poweris made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


I don't know about you, but I am thankful that God's grace is sufficient for me. For, as you can see, my weaknesses abound. So many days, I cry out to God for strength to keep running, to take another step in this hard, yet joyful road. As daughters of Christ, His Spirit is strong in us, and so that truly does make us a truly unique and chosen SuperMom. (You can even choose your own superhero mom name. I'm still working on mine.) 

What a comfort knowing that He sees your tears, His grace covers you, and by His grace, you can tap into the same power- that power of God is in you. My prayer, is that even in the midst of these terrible, no good, very bad days, we can see God's love for us. And in turn, we can share that love with our children, our families, and those around us. 

Check this out for a positive word of encouragement to feed your soul! 

Give Me Faith by Elevation Worship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyYj9HCDixc

Verse:
I need You to soften my heart,
To break me apart.
I need You to open my eyes,
To see that You're shaping my life.
Pre-Chorus:
All I am,
I surrender.
Chorus:
Give me faith to trust what You say
That You're good, and Your love is great.
I'm broken inside, I give You my life.
Verse 2:
I need You to soften my heart,
To break me apart.
I need You to pierce through the dark
And cleanse every part of me.
Chorus
Bridge:
I may be weak, but
Your Spirit's strong in me.
My flesh may fail, but
My God You never will. (repeat)
Chorus 2x
Bridge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace Bending

Love Bank

Semper Gumby: Always flexible