Semper Gumby: Always flexible

As August is coming to a close, it is a bittersweet time. I love the adventures of the summer, with no agenda, except to make sure my toddler has a nap sometime after lunch. Being the, "Type B" mother that I am, I can easily flex around another mom's schedule. When I get a last minute text to join a friend and her kiddos at the children's museum, I am usually game. As long as we have a double stroller, a few snacks, some wipes and a clean diaper, we are good to go. I can always use my field expediency for other child related "emergencies" such as going to lunch with no bib. Just grab a dirty kid's shirt from the car, that was shoved under the seat, and slap it over the babies head, and I am golden. As a Marine wife, I have learned to overcome and adapt! 

My semper gumby ways end tomorrow, when I have to wake up to the sound of my iPhone blurting out some kind of emergency signal that the plant, aka, my bed, is about to self destruct. I recently heard a psychologist who believes that people are not truly morning people, or night people. He says we just shift our waking hours towards the morning, or the evening, and this is adaptable for each person. If that's the case, I am stuck on repeat, in the position of a more alert evening time. (It is now 1:44 in the a.m. for those wondering.) After nearly 34 years, one would think my brain would be more adaptable. Ka sera sera.

I wish that I could say that I meticulously plan my early mornings, and follow through accordingly. I have aspirations of joyfully pressing that magical button on the Keurig  machine that effortlessly dispenses an aromatic cuppa joe, before 7 am. Then I would start my quiet time, without the pitter patter of little feet down the stairs, or the sweet, yet demanding requests for chocolate milk. Oh yes, I would read my devotions with a fervent prayer time, followed by a brilliant performance of holding a child's pose and downward dog, only to catapult myself onto the treadmill to run a 5K. While wearing a tiara. Well, I have a very active REM state while I sleep soundly in my Sleep Number bed, set at a cozy number of 35, and so I am sure I can accomplish the very same tasks, only in my mind. 

My reality check comes tomorrow morning, bright and early, with the birds chirping, and a song in my heart. Looking towards the days that lie ahead, I can see how this is a good thing. I often get complacent in my meandering ways, and then I do not act unless something is planned. Ahead of time. Guess what... there are now things planned and time tables to keep, every Monday through Friday, at the very least. This seems quite selfish of me, and how this will all affect me, and my precious slumber. And so, I will move on. (Down with selfishness, boo, hiss!)

Opportunities for learning, friendship, and character building await my kindergartener. I am supposed to be weepy that my oldest is officially starting school for the very first time in his 5 years on this earth. However, my crying bone is often broken, until it's not, then you have to watch out. Give me about two weeks, and we can talk, and cry (I think).

I am excited to see how the Lord will begin to secure my son's foundations, that we have begun at home. Despite my best efforts, I can not teach my child to read, and so I look forward to watching him bloom under the tutelage of another more learned (pronounced learn...ed ;)) and wise scholar, such as his new teacher. No more scenarios of, "How do you spell rock, my dear?" "R-O-K. I'm outta here!", skipping off to ride his scooter.

My son is brilliant in many areas, but stubborn when it comes to learning certain subjects. And he doesn't happen to especially enjoy learning from his matriarch or patriarch in the areas of reading, writing, and arithmetic. (Home schooling moms' gasps, heard 'round the world.) Just kidding, I love all of you super talented women, wearing so many hats. I just wish I could be you. Or temporarily become a tee tiny wood nymph to observe how the skilled transfer of knowledge really occurs, so that I too, one day, maybe, should I ever become very, very brave or very, very foolish, may learn the tricks of the trade, with the trade being home schooling... On a side note, the book about the 100 top picks for home schooling curriculums- need I say more? 100? Really? That's narrowing it down?! Really? "Oh, silly Rachel," you kindly say. Well, I suppose thou shalt counsel me later, me thinks. (Insert Irish accent, for my mother will not accept incorrect grammar. And my high school English teacher is my Facebook friend. Hi, Mrs. Williams.)

As we begin to the smell the bouquet of newly sharpened pencils (I love Meg Ryan), this week, may we continue to find the precious moments we had in the summer to share the treasure of biblical principles with our kids. So mama, even if you didn't get to do that in the last three months, now is the time to start! I have found that while driving in the car, during the rare, yet precious moments where everyone is quiet (thank you, God!) I have an attentive audience. They are stuck in their seats, and ready to listen. Well, at least Jack, who's my eldest child. (I would now like to ask you to turn off all electronic devices. Thank you.) You can observe together, as you navigate, the beauty in the trees above and around you, and how God made each one for our enjoyment. There are so many love letters to us in nature, that it's impossible not to notice them, when we lift our eyes to the heavens, and off of our smart phones. Ouch, I know, me too. 

Kids love it when we are honest with them, sharing our faults from the day, and how we need to be more patient with them, and how we can try as a family to treat one another with love and grace. The time may only last a minute, but it will last for eternity, if we don't let the time slip away without a word of wisdom that God can supernaturally share with you, at exactly the time you need it.  

You most likely know this verse, from the KJV Bible, but this is a different angle: Proverbs 22:6 (The Message)- Point your kids in the right direction- when they're old they won't be lost. 

Almost all of us have a GPS in our pockets, that we use daily. As we are pointed in the right direction with this tool, we too can point our kids in the direction of Christ, so that their faith may stick, and they will know where they are in their walk with Christ. Despite our best efforts, there is no "guarantee" that our children will adopt this Christian faith as their own, but it is our calling to usher our children to His feet. We can live our faith, speak of our faith, and pray for their faith for today, and the future. 

Matthew 19:13-14

13 Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them.
14 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” 

In the 2013 school year, let us remember to make every moment with our children count, whether they are educated at home, or in the traditional classroom. God allows us to borrow these children from Him for a season, and it is our honor to share our faith with them. Even if we can't sleep in til 8 am anymore. :)



Comments

  1. I can see u so vividly in this post and l LOVE your viewpoint. I actually shared it with my fellow mom friends who are sending their kiddos to kindergarten this year (my oldest starts tomorrow;) hope you're week is going well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Laura Ann! It's such an encouragement to me, that my writings can have a positive effect on fellow moms! I really appreciate you sharing my posts!! Have a blessed end of the week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grace Bending

Love Bank