Hurry Up and Wait

Forgive me, friends. It has been 13 days since my last confession, I mean, blog post. 

Some days… Okay most days, I am about five minutes late. Or ten....Or just running behind in general. To church, to school, to soccer practice, to life. 

Unfortunately, when I am even more behind the eight ball than usual, I have been up to 30 minutes late. Gasp. I know. 


Yesterday was one of those days where it seemed like nothing was coming together. I needed to get a TB test for future employment (yes, I feel so grown up!), and so I went to the hospital (or "to hospital" if you live on the other side of the pond) on our military base. I held my head high as I smartly grabbed a ticket at the pharmacy. Surely I would have plenty of time to make it back before they called my number so I could fill a few prescriptions. I had been putting this task off for a few months now. Oh they were just refills, pish posh.

When I went to the sixth floor I soon found out that the TB tests were not administered on Thursdays, because they could not be read over the weekend. Delightful. (Note: sarcasm.) Flu shots (or flu mists, should you happen to be so lucky) were offered at the same location. And so I thought, "Self, this may be the perfect time to get your flu shot, or your flu mist, should you happen to be so lucky." As luck had it, I drew the straw for the flu mist. After the successful sprays up the ol' nostrils, by a stranger that I now see around the soccer fields with his kids (awkward!!- just kidding, it's really fine), I refrained from blowing my nose for the five minutes, as instructed. Remember, I am a good Marine wife. I know how to follow orders.  

Back to the story. Ellie and I are now back in the waiting area, anticipating the calling of my assigned number for the good stuff.  I made a few laps around the questionably well patients, pushing Ellie around in her stroller. I feverishly prayed that we would not acquire the germ that may or may not have been airborne the moment we whizzed by them.  As you know with toddlers, they cannot sit still for a prolonged amount of time. Or at least any child I have ever borne. 

In a moment of weakness, I decided that it was a good time to use the little girl's room. It wasn't even urgent. No diaper to change, or sticky hands to wipe. Just the routine procedure.

When I returned, to my dismay, I discovered that my number had been called in my absence. Surely, the sweet, yet sassy lady handing out tickets would just have them call my number again right away. I have a fussy toddler. Surely you have some sympathy. My luck had worn off. (Don't worry theologians, I don't really believe in "luck.")  Do not pass go, do not collect your free drugs. 

Discouraged and dejected, I stared at my new ticket stub in disbelief, with an approximate wait time of... 28 minutes. So much for my bright idea to grab a ticket early. Back to the drawing board.

Once again, I prayed that we wouldn't catch any contagious diseases. My adorable, well behaved child, quickly became my cute yet squirmy girl, then escalating to my precious yet screaming child. Time to abort mission!! 

After throwing in the colloquial towel, I gave my winning ticket to another struggling mother, since my number was about ten patients ahead of hers. And so, I spent about two hours getting nothing on my to do list, accomplished.  Hey, at least I got my flu shot. I mean mist. And yes, I believe in vaccinations.  

What seemed like a series of unfortunate events, turned out to be a blessing in disguise. A few days later, I returned to the hospital for a doctor's appointment for my eldest son. The doctor prescribed him a new script, and so I had to pick that up the next day anyway. And, while sitting and waiting for the prescriptions (without kids, thank you Lord for the reprieve), I was able to talk with a mom who had lost her eleven year old son about a year before, after he had a fatal seizure. Our conversation was cut short, but I am praying to run into her again,to offer some words of encouragement. If nothing else, I will pray for her healing heart, even if we never cross paths again. 

Our human timing is rarely perfect. In the past few months, my own timing has included signing my son up for soccer, the day of his first practice, calling my middle child's projected pre-school at the end of the summer, only to find out that the pre-school is now full, and waiting until the 9th month of the year to find a job. The Lord took my own failures, and turned them for my good. 

Jack is in a soccer team he loves, that had one extra space for him, where he is learning to play goalie. Henry is now in a Christian pre-school that I would have never known about if I had not had to ask a friend if she could recommend one.  At orientation, God orchestrated the meeting of a fellow military wife that recently moved into town without connections on base, and an instant and lasting friendship began. And, in His timing, the job that I soon start, was not available until the month I began searching. 

There is not always a, "happily ever after," in our own procrastination or best efforts to stay on track. But God can still use these moments for our good. 

Psalm 18:30- This God-his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.

What a relief that His way is perfect, and we don't have to be! We can be shielded from the arrows of this world, by our Lord. Even when you live in a "city" that never sleeps, that watches and documents every second of every day with social media, we can rest in Him and His timing.

I can strive to be on time, and to not miss a deadline. Sometimes I'll hit the mark. And other times, I will be off. Way off. And that's ok. Life comes with many unplanned hurdles, and sometimes our shins get smacked. Hard. And we have to shake it off, keep running, and leap again. In His power, we carry on. 

I am certain that the race continues tomorrow morning. Our family shall rise with the sun, and children shall whine with our decision to make them wear pants. We shalt probably be tardy and/or miss Sunday school class. However... that doesn't define us. 

Romans 8:37-39

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[k] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

These trivial things in life do not separate us from the love of God. We are still conquerors through Him, even in our human shortcomings. And most importantly, He shows  us the love, even when the lady giving out the pharmacy ticket numbers does not. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace Bending

Love Bank

Semper Gumby: Always flexible